[rescue] Fast SGI machines + RS/6000s.

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Sat Sep 13 07:32:49 CDT 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:

> > > ps. Those of you still looking for RS/6000 thinkpads (everyone?),
> > > take a look at eBay NOW. When I looked yesterday, there were 4 of
> > > these machines for sale, including a Thinkpad 850 and 860.
> >
> > These machines aren't as nice as you would think.  You'd be better off
> > with a later-model Apple laptop and one of the free OSes.
>
>  They are certainly as nice as I think, I've already got one :). Ok,
> it's a Thinkpad N40 with a 50MHz processor (601?) and 64Mb memory, but
> still a very nice machine. The great thing about it is that it runs AIX,
> which an Apple laptop won't do. Of course my perception may be a little
> biased by the fact that I bought this laptop for very little money,
> probably less than I would have paid for a similar spec Apple laptop.
> Last week I went to the Klokhuisdag (Apple convention) and the prices
> there were scary (and the discussions too).

With the apple, you'll end up with a machine which is an order of
magnitude or two faster, non-SCSI HDD, and all around cooler.  I have a
*lot* of RS/6000's, and AIX is the UNIX I use in my main workstation, but
I won't pretend that a Thinkpad 860 has enough horsepower to be my main
laptop.

Peace...  Sridhar