[rescue] Fast SGI machines + RS/6000s.

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Sat Sep 13 03:58:03 CDT 2003

> > ps. Those of you still looking for RS/6000 thinkpads (everyone?), take a
> > look at eBay NOW. When I looked yesterday, there were 4 of these
> > machines for sale, including a Thinkpad 850 and 860.
>
> These machines aren't as nice as you would think.  You'd be better off
> with a later-model Apple laptop and one of the free OSes.

 They are certainly as nice as I think, I've already got one :). Ok, it's a
Thinkpad N40 with a 50MHz processor (601?) and 64Mb memory, but still a very
nice machine. The great thing about it is that it runs AIX, which an Apple
laptop won't do. Of course my perception may be a little biased by the fact
that I bought this laptop for very little money, probably less than I would
have paid for a similar spec Apple laptop. Last week I went to the Klokhuisdag
(Apple convention) and the prices there were scary (and the discussions too).

  greetings,
   Michiel