[rescue] SGI O2 Rescue

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 12 12:35:05 CDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Of course, this will screw you up if you have applications that want the
> overlay planes.  Maya may run fine still with this change, but it will
> be faster without it, at least on Impact level machines.

I don't believe it gets rid of the overlay planes on Impact machines.
It just changes the default visual to TrueColor rathern than
PseudoColor.  The downside is that mapped windows take up more memory,
but that's about it.  Pixel accesses happen on a halfwork boundary
(well, word on an O2) and, thus, blits are -much- faster.

I can't imagine that Maya would be adversely affected, since it can
still -ask- for an overlay plane.  For example, Jot does.

> So, try it if you have an O2 or need GNOME applications to work, be
> forewarned there are downsides.

It's a night and day difference on an both an Octane/SI and I2/SI.  For
playing around in the GUI, an I2/SI with this configuration file is
snappier than an Octane without it, given equal CPU clocks and memory.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols