[rescue] SGI O2 Rescue

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Sep 12 12:24:30 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:52:58AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > > I got a revised Xservers line from somebody that has you removing the
> > > part of the command line for the X server that turns on the 8bit
> > > overlay plane
> >
> > Please share?  Please?
>
> [jp at celestrion:/usr/people/jp]$ cat /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
> :0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -nobitscale -depth 24 -class TrueColor \
> -solidroot sgilightblue -cursorFG red -cursorBG white
>
> (all one line, of course)

Of course, this will screw you up if you have applications that want the
overlay planes.  Maya may run fine still with this change, but it will
be faster without it, at least on Impact level machines.

So, try it if you have an O2 or need GNOME applications to work, be
forewarned there are downsides.