[rescue] 1) MPE/iX question 2) tape copy mixed block sizes

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Thu Sep 11 13:24:01 CDT 2003

Hi,

I recently rescues an HP3000/922LX system running MPE/iX.

I am able to boot but don't have the password for OPERATOR.SYS. Is there
any way to get around this on the console?

A related question: I have installation tapes of MPE/iX versions 4.0, 5.0
and 6.0 and would like to make an archive copy of it. Problem is, these
tapes (NMRESTORE and other formats) mix different block sizes on the
same tape. Is there an easy way to copy the tape to disk, keeping track
of the block sizes, so I can rebuild the tapes later if needed?

I know the trick
  dd if=/dev/nrsa0 of=/dev/null ibs=65536 obs=1 count=1
which will let me know the blocksize of this particular block. I could
repeat this for the whole disk but there's got to be an easier way :)

Cheers,
Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"