[rescue] spam WPOISON

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Wed Sep 10 11:31:34 CDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:22:57PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    What "business" is developing into is becoming truly repulsive.

I don't think business has changed that fundamentally from the robber-barons
of decades ago.

The computer industry certainly has; I think any industry over time will
gravitate towards very low level and extremely high level workers. For
programming, this means low-level folks who develop chips and write
compilers and interpreters, and high level folks who program in those
languages and design applications. The guts of the machine will become more
and more abstracted over time. This has borne itself out in other industries
as well-- witness the auto industry. How many folks out there could build a
car from scratch? Or home-building. Or telecommunications. In several years
being a jack-of-all-trades in computers will be very rare (not like it isn't
now), and low-level languages like C will be used less and less.

In many ways programmers have encouraged this by obfuscating details behind
APIs. Now the APIs are the programming languages themselves.

David