[rescue] spam WPOISON

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 9 12:48:54 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 12:54 PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:

>>> What if the underlieing hardware is a ixp432, or FPGA work-a-like?
>>
>>    I think you mean iAPX432.  Dude, they sold like EIGHT of those
>> chipsets.
>
> Which begs the question: Why on earth would any one want to do
> something
> like the 432?

   Because it's *something different*...you of all people should know
this.  The vast majority of processor architectures that have sprung up
in the past 30 years have been variations on the very same tired theme.

   The machines we're using today haven't been evolving since the
1940s...they've been evolving since 1969, from the i4004 that Intel
developed to be a desktop calculator.  EVERYTHING we've seen since
then, except for minicomputers (which aren't being developed anymore)
and mainframes (which, no matter how fast or how modern they are, are
still regarded by some fools as "obsolete" because they don't run
Windows) has evolved from that basic design.

   I applaud the iAPX432 because it was innovative.  Simply following
along with what everyone else has done is easier...but what if someone
whom you're copying made a mistake?

   Sadly, though, there is no place in this industry for innovation
anymore.  If it's not Intel's 25-year-old bad-in-the-first-place
architecture it's somehow "bad".

           -Dave