PERL, was: Re: [rescue] spam WPOISON

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Tue Sep 9 05:23:48 CDT 2003

Dave McGuire [mcguire at neurotica.com] wrote:
>   (and that's assuming Perl is actually easy to write prog..err,
> scripts in...personally, I think it looks like line noise)

Never heard that Perl-source looks the same as before after a
triple-DES encryption? (:

Things like:

%datei_netzliste = ();
open (CONFIN, $netflow_conffile) or
while (<CONFIN>) {
	$therec = $_;
	chomp($therec);
	($name, $range) = split(/\t/, $therec, 2);
	$datei_netzliste{$name} = $range;
}

are fun to look at after some weeks. Perl is really easy to write,
but the syntax is *&(#^$%-terrific. And the above is a simple code
fragment.

And, as said earlier, Perl somehow manages to leak memory big
time over the weeks, a point which is really enerving if the systems
is supposed to stay up months/years w/o interacting.

        - paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.