[rescue] spam WPOISON

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 8 16:18:42 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 05:07 PM, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> I have to take issue with this.  Almost every app could be "optimized"
> and
> in theory faster by hand codeing it in pure ASM for every arch it runs
> on.  Hand tuned ASM is almost alwyas "faster", but is rather rarely the
> correct solution for a mid-large program due to maintnence issues.
> Sure,
> faster is better, but bug-free and maintainability are important too.

   I don't disagree...I'm aware that there are concerns other than
performance; perhaps I made my point a bit too strongly.  Bugginess is
also a form of inefficiency when it impacts usability. :)

   My basic point was that, these days, people are FAR too willing/eager
to ignore efficiency and performance in exchange for ease of
development.

   (and that's assuming Perl is actually easy to write prog..err,
scripts in...personally, I think it looks like line noise)

          -Dave