[rescue] spam WPOISON

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 8 16:25:27 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> I don't potentially need to deal with memory management issues,
>
> Am I the only person on the planet that isn't bothered by this?

   Nope.  I like handling my own memory management.  When writing
software, I like to actually have *control* over the computer.

   But, it's quite true that 90% of the bugs in C code these days are
related to pointers, and probably 40% of those bugs are related to
dynamic allocation and memory management...and I've written quite a few
of those bugs myself...but this is the price to pay for a very fast
low-level language that's also very portable and usually makes very
efficient use of the underlying hardware.

   An extreme example of this tradeoff is Java.  It's the ultimate in
portable programming languages, and the ultimate
"I-don't-have-to-deal-with-memory-management-issues" language.  It's
also incredibly easy to use.  But the price is paid in runtime
performance...big time.

> Resource management is just part of programming to me, like syntax or
> logic.

   Yup.

   According to the author, Wpoison was rewritten in Perl and the C
implementation scrapped to avoid the compilation step that a C program
requires.

   In other words...catering to laziness.  In yet different
words...obviating the need for
compilation so that SERVER ADMINISTRATORS DON'T NEED TO LEARN HOW TO
WORK THEIR COMPUTERS.  This is so bogus, I can't even express it.  In
any language.

      -Dave