[rescue] spam WPOISON

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 8 16:11:14 CDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Given a running webserver with a memory resident language choice (Perl,
> PHP, possibly others), I would use that technology because it is there, and
> it is resident.  It may not be the fastest, but speed is not everything.
> There is the overhead of file handles, process management, memory management,
> etc.... the fastest solution is not always necessarily the best solution.

Then, the problem becomes portability.  I don't run mod_perl.  I do run
PHP.  Some sites don't run PHP.  I want my tool to be available to the
greatest audience.  So, I can use a traditional perl CGI or a
traditional C CGI.  C wins, hands down, in terms of not overloading the
server.

If C presents a portability problem on your server, you have other
problems. :)

> Doing text processing in Perl or PHP is friendlier and more enjoyable.

No doubt.

> I don't potentially need to deal with memory management issues,

Am I the only person on the planet that isn't bothered by this?
Resource management is just part of programming to me, like syntax or
logic.

> BTW, if you want this to be really efficient, code in native assembly and
> even better... in assembly as a Apache module.  The ultimate in efficiency.

But much less portable.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols