[rescue] spam WPOISON

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Sep 8 15:42:22 CDT 2003

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke"
>
>On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
>> For this application I wouldn't even consider C.
>
>I would.

Err... your choice... not right, not wrong... just a different choice...
(and for this app, not my choice)

>> Perl is growing up for this app.  This is a web based app.
>
>Non sequitur.
>
>> If you run modPerl, then your perl will be resident and the cgi will
>> not need to launch another process/etc.  PHP is also a good choice
>> for this application.... even JSP would probably be good.
>
>JSP would not be faster/better than C.

Never said it would be faster...  C in this case may very well be the
fastest even with the fork/exec/memory and process management overhead.
I still would choose PHP or Perl (resident in the webserver) to do this.

>> While C is fast... each link the bot hits is going to cause the
>> web browser to launch the application for each link traversed... since
>> the design is links to self along with garbage addresse to pollute
>> their lists, a language that is resident with your web server is best
>> (IMHO of course).
>
>In order to properly assert that, you'd need to see how many instances
>of the C application would need to be resident over a period of time to
>equal the overhead of having a perl interpreter instance living inside
>the web server.  If your traffic exceeds that number (and it will
>probably be quite large), then the perl solution will be a better
>performer.

OK... let me clarify...

Given a running webserver with a memory resident language choice (Perl,
PHP, possibly others), I would use that technology because it is there, and
it is resident.  It may not be the fastest, but speed is not everything.
There is the overhead of file handles, process management, memory management,
etc.... the fastest solution is not always necessarily the best solution.

The last couple of years I've been using a webserver with PHP resident
(along with a few other things).  On that server, I would use PHP over
doing this in C.

Doing text processing in Perl or PHP is friendlier and more enjoyable.  I
don't potentially need to deal with memory management issues, the language
is resident (in the case of modPerl and PHP), etc.  Seems to me more fit
to the task at hand than C.

Mind you, I like C... it is my preferred language for certain things.  Like
a POP3 protocol proxy server, network sockets daemons, etc...  and I use it
extensively for that work.  Web work is just nice in PHP.  Perl might be
a second choice, but I'd want to work extensively with modPerl in a testing
environment before I'd use it for production (because I haven't done so
yet).

BTW, if you want this to be really efficient, code in native assembly and
even better... in assembly as a Apache module.  The ultimate in efficiency.

-- Curt

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks

rescue at
t       a
e       w
n       k
.niatnuom

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices