[rescue] If one person could do it, maybe we could do this

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Sep 8 11:07:01 CDT 2003

> > A new Apple I Replica
> >
> > http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,60329,00.html
> >
> > Maybe not since the guy is doing it with Woz's permission... I don't
> > think other companies would be so benevolent.
>
> I agree. More companies should give away more of the long-gone hardware specs,
> certainly when it has nothing but pure teaching to offer.
>
> Radioshack (aka Tandy in the UK) could make a come back...

There are several other harder-to-find micros I'd like to see "reconstructed":

OSI Challenger 1P or II or SuperBoard II
Rockwell AIM-65
MDS-85
KIM-1

The TRS-80s and Apple IIs are easier to find, but I've seen people talk about
building new versions using modern technology so the actual system is very
small.

There's the Commodore 64 clone that has been mentioned before.

Now, new versions of some classic minis and mainframes would be nice, too.
There are new versions of the PDP-8, and someone is working on a PDP-10.  I
would also like to see a freely available FPGA version of a PDP-11 and a
VAX.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net