[rescue] spam

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 13:52:41 CDT 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:36:52 -0500
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > While my comments RE China were generalized and most of my Spam is
> > received from places like Lebanon, Korea, the USA and Brazil almost
> > all of the spamvertized web site links the spam points to are hosted
> > on web servers in China.
>
> That's true.  I've always wondered about that.  Are sleazeballs
> shipping servers over there, are do they just have a nation of
> compromised Windows boxes?

Both. If every compromised machine and spammer contract in China was
fixed/terminated overnight it wouldn't be more than a week before you
saw as much spam as before.

In fact the spam we're talking about was injected at at least two points
... an organisation in San Francisco (or based there), and an
organisation in Michegan. Probably both are broadband ISP's with
infected Windows client PC's.