[rescue] spam

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 12:04:16 CDT 2003

Hi

(Re-ordered the quoting a bit to make it more sane to respond)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:42:03 -0400 (EDT)
"Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
> >> Anyone else get this spam ?  I'm wondering if someone managed to
> >get the> list of addresses for members of this list ?

Yes I got it (and was automatically caught by SpamAssassin).

To an address I don't use for this list (or at least not for a *long*
time).

> Looks like a spammer trolled the archives for addresses.  While
> addresses may not appear in the headers, Mine, and Mike's are
> definately findable in google in the list archives from either sigs or
> links.
> Maybe a username/password should be setup for the archive ???

It would be a shame to do that especially as the addresses are already
tainted. Putting your email address in your sig is going to get you
spammed and doesn't really serve much of a purpose (unless you're
putting a false address into the headers ... which is only partially
effective if you're using netnews).

> The real sad part of spam.... if it didn't work, it wouldn't go on.

It would also help if certain ISP's helped out in terminating contracts
with spammers. In this case, the injection point for your spam was
different from mine, so is almost certainly insecured proxy servers
(probably produced by infection). Which is in my eyes a criminal act.