[rescue] Re: the infamous missing CD

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 17:51:54 CDT 2003

--- "Earl D. Baugh Jr." <earl at baugh.org> wrote:

>  In their FAQ
> (http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/faq.html)it says
> that:
>
> The cost of the Solaris 9 SPARC platform download images are built in
> to our overhead cost since the SPARC OS is developed specifically for
> our Sun Systems.
>
> So, it would seem to support the above, and imply that license costs
> are built into the overhead....

cost of download images <> software license cost - two unrelated
things.

If I can get the image, that does not convey a license to use - that is
a seperate exercise from sun.

Also, "bait and switch" would involve (in my definition):

1) an offer of one item for sale, with no intention of giving that item
to the buyer (i.e. an ad for a refrigerator that they do not have in
stock)

2) redirecting the buyer to another item (typically of lesser quality,
higher price, or both)

Sun, in my opinion, simply failed to document the contents of the
package (the free download), nothing more...

I'll have to try the "full install" - I did one last week with free CDs
that did not require the "other" CDs - I did not attempt the "full
install with OEM support" - is that the problem installation?

Thanks,

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall