[rescue] Apple Newton

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Sep 3 22:09:42 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 09:36:35PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   HP stupidly likes to discontinue their best-selling and most popular
> products.  Carly Fiorina is an idiot.  That is all.

I humbly, and with no offense intended, beg to differ.

For one thing, it hasn't really been HP any more since Bill and Bob
died.

For another ...

Saying "Carly Fiorina is an idiot.  That is all." is rather like saying,
"Windows has faults, that is all" or "Bill Gates is wealthy, that is
all", or "the Grand Canyon is an erosion channel, that is all."  :)

<rant>
Carly Fiorina is no mere common idiot.  She is an utter *imbecile* who
has presided over the destruction and demise of a great company, whose
contributions to said company have been mainly to hasten it along, and
over whom the business press has fawned not because she actually has the
slightest apparent clue what she's doing, or because she was any more
competent than her predecessor, but because she happened to be female at
the time she became CEO and is wreaking this ignoble self-immolation
upon HP while in possession of paired X chromosomes.
</rant>

Not that I'm disagreeing with you in the least -- it's just that, well,
you've heard of "damning by faint praise"?  Dave, I think you have
invented the technique of "praising via faint damns."  :)