[rescue] Apple Newton

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Sep 3 20:36:35 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 09:33 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>    2) It's not like the machines are rare...just buy another one.
>
> True, but with a finite number in existance, they will all "stop
> working" at some point...

   And so will every other piece of equipment.  And so will WE.
Everything around us will, sooner or later, turn to dust, Lionel.
Nothing is permanent.

   The notion that a Newton "won't be useful for much longer" because
some of them have worn-out displays is just plain silly.  People were
saying that about PDP-8s in the late 1970s...I have a PDP-8 sitting
behind me that was built in 1969; I can power it up at any time and run
real programs on it.

   Some of the front-panel lamps have burned out.  I replaced them.  No
big deal.

> THe HP 200LX is another similar piece of equipment - they are more
> valuable now than ever (IMHO), and they haven't made them in years...
> Simple DOS in ROM computer - go figure...

   HP stupidly likes to discontinue their best-selling and most popular
products.  Carly Fiorina is an idiot.  That is all.

        -Dave