[rescue] Are there any certification worth looking into these days?

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Sep 3 20:40:48 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 18:31, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> There was mention of a very good security certification that one could
> attend for free/low-cost, if they'll work during the class (sweat
> equity, in return for a crack at the cert test)... check the archives
> the last two weeks of Aug (I think), or, if the original poster could
> re-post, that would be great...

I believe you're talking about the GIAC certs.  GSEC is where you'd want
to start out.  GIAC offers the option of low cost training/certification
for those who volunteer at events.  I would imagine spots are very
limited so you'd probably want to contact them well in advance of any
event close you your location.

I just finished the GSEC and it's no "churn 'em out" process for sure.
CISSP is more known by "gatekeepers", but you'll need a few years of
verifiable security related experience to qualify.  I'll be writing the
CISSP as soon as my unemployed arse can come up with the $500
examination fee :/

http://www.giac.org
http://www.sans.org

BTW, I was lucky enough to get my practical published in the SANS
reading room for anybody looking into IPSEC interop:

http://www.sans.org/rr/paper.php?id=1158

-Daniel