[rescue] Apple Newton

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Sep 3 12:10:13 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 11:49:41AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I had a '2000 for a long time.  Their handwriting recognition can't
> be beat, and the web browser is quite respectable.  There's a good bit
> of software development going on, but it's kinda "fringe" if you know
> what I mean, since our screwed-up society has managed to confuse "no
> longer being sold" with "no longer works".  There's even a group

Well, of course it's fringe.  No longer sold means no new hardware
sales.  So, most users probably have what they like and are unlikely to
shell out significant money for new programs, while people just buying a
new unit would be more likely to.  Now, perhaps people buying a new to
them used unit is likely to be interested in buying software, but I
doubt that is enough to stake a business on.  There for, development is
probably mostly hobbiests, and right there that is a fringe group.  Add
on hobbiests writing for a small, no longer being sold platform, and it
is already even fringier, reguardless of how well it works.

Besides, don't the Newton 2x00s have a tendency to have the screens wear
out?  That would imply that while not strickly "no longer works" perhaps
"not likely to work much longer for most people".