[rescue] Apple Newton

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Sep 3 10:49:41 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 11:25 AM, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> 	Spotted one of these criters on the shelf at a school I was working
> at monday. They now oh me a favor and I was thinking I could suggest
> that I
> take that item off there hands. Is there anything cool that one can do
> with
> a newton? Is there still sfotware support? It was in a leather type
> case
> with a cable or two, is there any parephials that I should check and
> make
> sure that are there if I do ask for it?

   It depends on what model of Newton it is.  If it's a 2000 series
machine, it's quite useful (StrongArm SA-110 at 100+MHz if memory
serves, BIG display, serial port, PCMCIA, etc) even by today's PDA
standards.  It is bigger than a Palm Pilot, but it does a lot more.

   I had a '2000 for a long time.  Their handwriting recognition can't
be beat, and the web browser is quite respectable.  There's a good bit
of software development going on, but it's kinda "fringe" if you know
what I mean, since our screwed-up society has managed to confuse "no
longer being sold" with "no longer works".  There's even a group
working on (maybe done by now) 802.11 card drivers for the 2000 series.

   If it's a 2000, get it.  They sell $150-400 on eBay these days, so
they're not exactly "giveaways".

           -Dave