[rescue] RE: Power

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Sep 2 21:11:12 CDT 2003

My advice is to go for 220 volt circuits if you can. The main advantage is
that you can run more machines on a 220 volt circuit as the current draw
will be lower than on a 120 volt circuit. If you're worried about cost, it
should work out at the same price as installing 120 volt circuits.

I'm fairly lucky as my house has a 45kVA 3-phase 240/415 volt service that
feeds in from the street (the regular NZ residential distribution system is
240 volt, single phase). However now that I'm used to being able to run
heavy industrial equipment at home, I'd find it hard to live in a dwelling
that was restricted to single phase. FWIW we have lots of hydroelectric
power generation here so the power costs are around 5.7 US cents per KWh.

Regards,

Gavin

Eric Dittman wrote:

I'm going to have two additional power lines run to the computer room
soon.  I was thinking of having two 120V 30A circuits, but I am starting
to think one 120V and one 220V circuit might be better.  I have a lot of
equipment that will run on either, but I think having a 220V circuit would
be a good idea in case I want to run a VAX 6000 or 7000 since I wouldn't
have to go to the trouble to rewire for 120V.

If anyone has run new power lines for their home computer room, what did
you have run, and would you change your choice now that you've had it run
for a while?