[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 2 21:44:30 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Simple... asking questions is what has allowed me to learn what I've
> learned and given me the skills I have....

Well, yeah, there is that.  This is j5st one of those things that
probably won't make sense unless we got inside an HME's head.

> All indications are that my network stays at 100 base FULL steady without
> errors and without renegotiations.... so.... from a pure numbers and
> theory standpoint locking my hme to 100 base FULL should offer not
> improvement whatsoever....

Talking the 100baseTX protocol doesn't necessarily mean getting 100Mb/s
throughput, as Ethernet is asynchronous.  There are, for example,
several USB 1.1 Ethernet dongles that will negotiate 100baseTX on a
100baseTX network, but you know they can't possibly move bits that fast.

> if it does (and I will have to try it) then I'd really like to know
> why.

I'm just going to plunk a vote down for "general design flaw".

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols