[rescue] Ultra 60 Questions

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Tue Sep 2 21:18:21 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> >    There's what, something like 7 years of evolution between an Indy
> >    and
> > an Ultra60?  And the Indy was SGI's bottom-end workstation in its
> > time, and the Ultra60 was the top of Sun's line?
> >

> There's simply no comparison.  That's like asking how a SVO Cobra stacks
> up against a Chevy Citation.

Well the reason I ask is that I have said Indy (originally a stock R4000
100Mhz that Syracuse University was discarding).  I've put some money into
upgrading it over the last year, and I was wondering how it compared to a
U60 because I was wondering if as a tinkering machine, the U60 would be a
lot better.  I didn't realize it would cost me in the end about the same
for the upgraded Indy as it would for a Tatung U60... and I was wondering
if it is worth parting with or retiring my Indy and finding a good deal on
a U60?  (Keeping in mind my main home machines are OS X boxes, with my
current tinkering boxes running NetBSD m68k and NeXTStep 3.3)

--
Nathan Raymond