[rescue] Power

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Tue Sep 2 16:55:32 CDT 2003

dittman at dittman.net said:
> If anyone has run new power lines for their home computer room, what
> did you have run, and would you change your choice now that you've had
> it run for a while?

We put around $100k into upgrading the wiring in our lab space (which was
constructed to our specs) about a year ago.  I learned a few things....

Pull the heaviest wiring you can afford, and wire each recepticle box
seperately.

If you can, expand your breaker panel, and have these new wires pulled into
that panel.  You can tie multiple boxes together into one circuit to start
(to save $$ on breakers), and split them out later to one box per circuit if
needed.  You can also move a box over to 240 easily later if the panel is
set up for it in advance (talk to your electrician) without pulling
additional wire by changing the wiring in the panel and switching out the
recepticle.

You may have to (or want to) upgrade your service from the street.  Ask your
electrician first about this, as it will cost big bux.  If you have to do
this, consider three phase if you can ever imagine using it.

I would start with 20 amp breakers, but wire for 30.

There are different grades of recepticles, with cheapass home grade on one
end of the scale, and hospital grade on the other.  Buy the best you can
afford, as the cheapies heat up and wear out.

Ask your electrician how he would wire differently to meet code for a
commercial computing facility.  If he says no diff, find a different
electrician.  The grounding should be better to meet that code, and you may
wish to go that extra mile.

Hope this helps....

AL