[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Sep 2 18:15:19 CDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:28:07PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:49:42 -0400
> Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I can generate enough traffic on the segment to find out
>
> Try 'ttcp' for benchmarking.

Not helpful.  But, doh! I realized that in my calculations of network
throughput vs. disk speed, I'd slipped a decimal place.  Transferring a
31MB file via ftp from the U60 to /tmp on my Linux box (which is tmpfs,
so no disk transfer speed issues that end) resulted in a transfer rate
of 10.88 MB/s.  A direct copy of a 37MB file from an NFS-mounted stripe
to /tmp yielded 11.2MB/s.  So, by my calculations, I'm getting up to
about 92 megabits/second.