[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 17:28:07 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:49:42 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
> > I've tried 3Com SuperStack switches, Catalyst 29xx and 35xx
> > switches, and Cabletron switches.  Yes, it'll negotiate at all of
> > them, but you won't get -nearly- full throughput.  At least, I was
> > never able to.

Don't know about the 3coms, but with the Catalyst stuff it seems to
negotiate to 100mps with no duplex. Unless you nail the ports, or turn
off a feature ('fastpath'?) designed for connecting ports to other
switches. I'm not sure of the details because I only deal with the Sun
end.

> I'm not sure I can generate enough traffic on the segment to find out

Try 'ttcp' for benchmarking.