[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Sep 2 17:11:48 CDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 06:04:12PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Ftp putting from my p200mmx running Solaris for Intel to my
> Ulta 60 through a 2924XL switch I was able to push 4660KB/sec on a
> 8 Meg file.
>
> Doesn't seem bad to me...

Well, there are all sorts of contributing factors, but that seems like
less than half of what you should be able to get.  In theory the max is
12.5 MB/s, but realistically, you will only get 60-80% of that, so
perhaps 7.5 to 10 MB/s?  Of course, from that figure you subtract
overhead, but for NFS it should still be kissing close to those marks I
believe, even with an Intel machine with IDE disks on one side.