[rescue] Mac Hints needed

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Sun Nov 2 18:52:41 CST 2003

Ok, I got the Beige G3 I mentioned the other day - it's a 233 mhz, at
least rev B (RagePro video) and has 288mb of RAM. Not shabby for $40 I
think.

However, I can not get it to boot. I am about ready to pull out my hair
over this.

I power it up and, being a UW surplus machine, the drive has no OS. So I
get the ? mark. Fine amd expected. I put my OS 9 cd in and hold "c".
Same thing. 8.0 cd does the same. Zap PRAM. No change. Pull lithium
battery for 2 hours. No change. Unplug keyboard and mouse. No change.
Put a different IDE drive in. No change.  Put a known good CDRW in. No
change. Swap controller ends of the cables around. No change. Pull all
IDE and stick in a SCSI disk and CDROM - both with apple rom. No change.
Reseat all ram, rom, and etc. on motherboard. No change...

I've run out of ideas and could use some hints.

Thanks,

William
--
REGIME CHANGE STARTS AT HOME... Wesley Clark for President
http://www.clark04.com/