[rescue] hp kayak price estimate?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri May 30 08:10:29 CDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:14:41AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> "David L Kindred (Dave)" <d.kindred at telesciences.com> wrote:
> >     Kurt> <snip config>
> >
> >     Kurt> Nothing.  In my experience, the Kayaks are some of the worst x86
> >     boxen out Kurt> there (reliability-wise, and "standards"-wise).
> >
> > Which models?  I have a bunch of Kayak XA P-II machines here that we
> > bought used and have been rock-solid, no issues running Windows or
> > Linux.  One of the best factory-installed PC ventilation systems I've
> > seen, all ducted so that the CPU and disks still get airflow even while
> > you're futzing around with the IO slots.
> >

> I honestly can't remember.  Or it could be that I've chosen to forget.
> Either way, the name "Kayak" makes me cringe.
>
> >     Kurt> YMMV, of course, but I can't stand the Kayaks.
> >
> > Has HP used the Kayak name on more than one hardware series?
> >

> Dunno, my experience with them goes back many years.

I think that you are probably thinking of the motherboard bug on the
PentiumPro 180 and 200's where the PCI/graphics card bug existed that
limited actual throughput to like 6MB/s out of a theoretical max of
133MB/s .  At least, that would be one example.

| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Lisp hosting       |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |