[rescue] hp kayak price estimate?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Fri May 30 07:45:01 CDT 2003

    Kurt> Klaasjan Brand <kjb at studenten.net> wrote:
    >> This system is for sale in the Netherlands; seller want about 450
    >> euro's. For a generic P3 system I don't think the configuration would be
    >> worth more than 150-200, but does anyone got an idea what the extra
    >> value of the Kayak series is (except for the cool case? ;)

    Kurt> <snip config>

    Kurt> Nothing.  In my experience, the Kayaks are some of the worst x86 boxen out
    Kurt> there (reliability-wise, and "standards"-wise).

Which models?  I have a bunch of Kayak XA P-II machines here that we
bought used and have been rock-solid, no issues running Windows or
Linux.  One of the best factory-installed PC ventilation systems I've
seen, all ducted so that the CPU and disks still get airflow even while
you're futzing around with the IO slots.

    Kurt> YMMV, of course, but I can't stand the Kayaks.

Has HP used the Kayak name on more than one hardware series?

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator