[rescue] HP-UX Install

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu May 29 22:18:47 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:23:10PM -0500, Nathaniel Grady wrote:
> Ok, I'm feeling rather stupid at the moment. I finally got a copy of HP-UX for
> my precisionbook, and am stuck for how to install it. My initial plan was to
> install over the network from a linux machine, but googling only turns up
> instructions for installing from another HP-UX box. Anyone have a pointer?
> Incidentally, does anyone have an external SCSI cd-rom drive, with
> appropriate [1] cable, for sale? That would solve this whole problem much
> more quickly :-)
>
> [1] The computer end is a 50-pin D-sub connector, that is the same size as  a
> 25-pin D-Sub printer/serial cable, but with pins twice as dense.

This is referred to variously as mini-50, SCSI2, etc.

What is the filesystem on the CDs?  If it is iso-9660 then you can
mount it on Linux and probably make it work.  If it is HP's own
filesystem you will need an HP box to read the CD.

Look for references like BOOTP/DHCP/TFTP on the installation.  If one
or more of those is supported, then you can definitely install from a
Linux box.

| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Lisp hosting       |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |