[rescue] The other question...need Amiga advice!?!

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu May 29 17:09:22 CDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:35:44 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> said:
> On Thu, 29 May 2003, N. Miller wrote:
>
> > Now, on the other hand, that ebay AIX system thread has me wondering
> > (since I've seen a number of recent Solaris + AIX job listings)--what's
> > the easiest and cheapest way to put together a low-end AIX system?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3027170105

I bet those came from Lockeed and/or Boeing.  There are two more
sellers with BIN prices at $69, one selling them as-is, one with 7-day
warranty.

> Those are very nice systems, for the price.  They won't run AIX 5.2,
> but they will run AIX 5.1.  From what I've heard, the framebuffer alone
> on those systems is worth the buy-it-now price.

How difficult is it to track down AIX?  From looking at the pics, the
keyboard/mouse look like standard PS2.  Can I hook it up to a typical
multi-sync monitor?  What's a reasonable size disk for installing AIX?

> I've got an RS/6000 370 at home that I got for free because someone
> tossed it out, thinking it was an old PS/2.  Idiot lusers -are- our
> friends sometimes. :)

A neighbor of mine has been dumpster diving and told me there was
a box of HDs in a dumpster where he found a perfectly good 16'
extension ladder.  I'm going to check that out tonight--they are
from Apples, so likely are SCSI.

We have to be careful about diving in San Jose and other Silicon
Valley cities, the police will cite you (generally city ordinances
prohibit trespass on business property--passed to protect the likes
of Intel, Cisco, etc. from their stupid employees throwing away
things they shouldn't).

I was actually thinking that starting a business site clean-up
company in Silicon Valley.  I'd market the service to businesses
that are moving (lease rates are going down, companies are
moving to take advantage of it), as well as to property management
companies that are stuck holding the bag when a business ditches
it's lease--often times leaving a mess, and a mess of gear.  This
would be a good way around the dumpster diving law.  I remember
the things that I, as an employee, collected when doing desktop
system tear-down for building-wide moves at Cisco.  The things
people threw out always amazed me.

I should follow this idea up, but I would need to do a lot more leg
work on getting the contracts written properly to make it feasible
for our team to recover any gear left behind.  I'd also want to find
some more folks to help--preferrably with different backgrounds
from my own, so we could identify a broader spectrum of salvageable
stuff.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller