[rescue] Various

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu May 29 13:07:40 CDT 2003

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2003 13:29:34 -0400, "Brent B. Powers"
> <sunrescue at b2pi.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I seem to recall that Slot 7 was Intel PIII, and Socket 7 was AMD
>> Athlon (Thunderbird or Duron)
>
> That sounds partly right. Socket 7 was AMD K6-2 and various flavours of
> Pentium, IIRC. And probably the Cyrix 6x86. <quick check> The mobo I
> have
> downstairs distinctly says "Socket 7" and currently contains a P5-200,
> has
> contained a 6x86, and will fit a K6-2 (though the mobo wouldn't
> support the
> voltages I needed). I'm pretty sure the Athlon and Duron take
> another...
> wait, I've got a mobo for that too. <another check> Socket 462. Oooh! A
> CR2032! And the mobo is bad, no need to let it sit in a useless mobo.

There is Socket 7 for various Pentiums... Socket 5 for Pentiums (early
P60, P90), Socket 4 for 486en, Socket 3 I think for earlier 486 (non
5x86/overdrive capable).  Socket 370 for Pentium III/Celeron.  Socket 8
for Pentium Pro.  I am not sure what the P4 socket is.

The early Athlon uses the only other Slot (the Alpha compatible
[electrically] slot A)

Andrew