[rescue] The other question...need Amiga advice!?!

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed May 28 08:46:56 CDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:27:30AM -0700, N. Miller wrote:

> 2 Amiga 4000s, one is the expansion tower case (higher end one).  The
> lower-end one has 1 or 2 GB HD.  He thinks both have 16MB RAM.  I'm
> asking him about the Toaster & ROM versions, as well as TBCs (what's
> that?)
>
> Do I have to have a special monitor to attach to a 4000?  What about
> network connectivity, or is that something that's not really of much
> import?

You don't need a special monitor, but to use a regular VGA monitor, you
will need something called a scan doubler.  Otherwise, you can use a
video monitor.  If you are using the video toaster, you will want a
video monitor.  If you buy a C1084 (the Commodore monitor I've seen used
the most with these machines), it has a toggle to switch between the
graphic display and video display.  But for real work, at least two
monitors are a must.

For network connectivity, you will need to add a NIC.  The machines have
ISA, so a generic ISA card might work, if there are drivers.  I'm not
sure that you will be able to easily add a NIC to a machine that already
has a toaster in it though.