[rescue] Uh, hello stupid.

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Wed May 28 01:01:28 CDT 2003

> are you sure it isn't both if there is a opening in the contact edge
> that allows the card to slip in it will work in 32 bit and diminished
> thruput but it will work  if your gonna spend that much money anyways
> get scsi RAID ultra 160 or even ultra 80 both will probably outperform
> any IDE   [serial IDE excluded]

While I admit that SCSI raid would most likely outperform IDE RAID. We
have 5 file servers with the 3Ware cards. It's hard to beat 2TB for $9k
CAN. In testing our machines, we have been able to see a real world speed
of 170MB/s sustained from a single 12 drive RAID 5 array. That's with a
3Ware 7500-12 with 8 Western Digital 120GB 8MB cache drives.

Not bad for a year old 1.3TB server that cost $9k CAN. I expect a SCSI
array of the same size would cost at least 2x the money.

But yes, the 3ware 64bit cards work just fine in 32bit slots.

And Serial ATA will not make a significant impact on performance in the
near future (most likely not until 10k IDE drives start becoming common
place)

shawn