[rescue] The other question...need Amiga advice!?!

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue May 27 22:03:07 CDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 21:02:15 -0500, "Mike Hebel" <nimitz at speakeasy.net>
said:
> > On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 08:56 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> >
> >> Nadine,
> >> Have ypou considered trying the filler-and-polish tyoe CD/DVD repair
> >> kits?  Maxell makes one, so does Memorex I think.  If it'll work on a
> >> CD or a DVD it ought to work on a laptop screen, though there's no
> >> guarantee that screen cleaner wouldn't remove it again.
>
> Auugh!  I'd _highly_ advise against this route!
> Don't put _any_ chemicals on your screen that you can avoid using.
> The scratch kits for DVDs and CDs that he is describing are designed to
> _soften_ the plastic.  It would be extremely doubtful that using this
> stuff on your LCD would do anything but ruin it.

Part of the reason I am leary of using any of the stuff I've seen
suggested thus far is the flexibility of the LCD surface, and the
fact that it's not shiny.  I've done a fair amount of polishing work
in my day (automotive refinishing, metal and jewelry work,
plexiglass, lexan, stained glass--jack of all trades, as with
computers :-), so I know how the polishing process works,
generally.

It's a moot point, though I appreciate everyone's help.  I have
a buyer who doesn't appear to care about the minor scratches
mentioned.  Now it's just a matter of haggling, since he wants
the whole lot.  He's trying to low-ball me a bit, but I built some
wiggle into my asking prices.

However, I need Amiga-geek advice, now.  This buyer has two
A3000's, both with toasters.  One has additional equipment (I
don't have the specs right now).  He's been posting them for
sale ranging for $550-$650 for the lower-end one, and $600-
$700 for the other--but they haven't sold in the few months
I've been on the LEM-swap list.

Can anyone give me some advice on what this kind of cash
should buy Amiga-wise?  I'm trying to come up with a counter
that includes a swap of the lower-end Amiga that doesn't hit
me to hard on the Pismo price.  I don't know jack about Amigas,
other than they were cool back in the day, and that they are
68K.  :-)  Am I getting into something I should avoid (i.e. it's a
money-pit)?  Please keep in mind I still don't have a job.

Thanks--
=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller