[rescue] NeXT Cube Question

Jeffrey Brendle bli at psu.edu
Tue May 27 21:00:00 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 08:55  PM, Patrick Giagnocavo
+1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> a) I would question if it is truly a 68040 or a 68030.  The 030 is
> very slow when running any OS later than 2.1 .

good point. the '040 is usually tagged a "turbo", people will make a
point of mentioning this to get more $ I should think... and there's a
BIG difference between the '030 and '040 chips (ditto in Macs) & the
newer OSes will drag the thing to a crawl if it is an '030. (had that
problem w/ an original cube, machine was much "faster" from a telnet'd
VT220 than it was on console, however, so I didn't mind... the prof who
used console might have noticed, I never asked. =-) )

> Black and white is nice but color is much nicer.

I had to support a couple of original b&w cubes and turbo color slabs
"way back when" and I really thought the experience of the b&w
megapixel display (not the same as the IBM megapel, if anyone remembers
those on the 6150 PC/RTs) wasn't that bad. The Color was nicer, sure
... but at that time I was often using b&w monitors on older (sun 3/50
& sun4c class) workstations & also on Xterms (saving the color ones for
people who used the lab for "real work", I could do my support stuff
from the CLI in b&w fine. =-) ) so I really wasn't too worried about
it. Contemporary PC and Mac color was limited back then too ... but
then I didn't do anything really graphically intensive, used ... oh
what was it called... Frame? for some basic page layouts...
WordPerfect? WriteNow? something like that  for document writing....It
should be a fun little box even w/ b& w as long as the monitor's in
decent shape. Still, I wouldn't pay more than maybe $200 tops for any
such thing. (I do however regret not buying these back when we sent a
bunch of 'em up to the Salvage warehouse, don't see too many of 'em out
in the wild any more. at least not at reasonable prices. =-( )

cheers.
-j

Jeff Brendle                Office: 315 EESB/(814)865-3257/fax 863-7708
Desktop Support Spv.       Home:   #210 Parkgate 349 Toftrees Ave.
Penn State - Coll. of E&MS            State College, PA / (814)861-8180
Mailto:bli at psu.edu                AOL/MSN/Yahoo! IM - JSBrendle