[rescue] AS/400 Type 9404

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 21 15:18:54 CDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Make sure it comes with software, as far as I know OS/400 is almost
> unobtanium.

Yeah, I've heard that.  Fortunately, one of my clients still runs
OS/400, so I think I can probably get a copy of their tapes.  If IBM has
a problem with me doing that so that I can better support their product,
fsck 'em.

> There was an urban legend about some IBM machines having some
> sort of gravity switch that it got reset whenever the machine was moved.
> So that a new license was needed. I thought it was an interesting myth...

I think they -do- have a gravity switch, but it just powers the system
down.

> Anyhow AS400 was always a strange beast. It has all these weird concepts
> that it makes it hard to wrap around them and translate to "normal"
> computer terms (ie. non-IBMerisms)

Exactly.  This is why I want to learn.  I like to think that seeing the
way other systems do things makes me a better system administrator and a
better programmer.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Lawsuit...why doesn't it surprise me that more
Thorndale, TX      (    than half of that word is Suit?"