[rescue] VAXstation questions

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue May 20 15:40:37 CDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 04:05:06PM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > I know very little about the VAX, alas. I'm told it's a lovely architecture
> > for writing assembly language on. Shame I'll probably never get to play with
> > it, really.
>
> It's what I was taught assembly with at RIT...  although I learned it
> via a VAX emulator on Sun hardware (Sun3 era stuff).  There are probably
> still emulators around if you are interested...

Aaah, VAX-11 macro-assembler.  I remember it well.

One of my CS professors at Eastern Washington University used to claim
that VAX-11 macro-assembly was the first computer language to contain an
instruction family named after him.

The root form of the family in question is Subtract One and Branch ...