[rescue] Big SGIs at Home

koehler at shaw.ca koehler at shaw.ca
Sun May 18 19:10:25 CDT 2003

"Jonathan C. Patschke" wrote:

> So, I just bought my first big SGI.  Does anyone have any experience
> with the -actual- power draw and cooling requirements of a
> PowerChallenge XL?  The system in question has two memory boards, one
> IP25, at least two IO4s, one FDDI board, an unknown number of discs,
> and the Extreme[0] console option.  I don't expect it'll reach the peak
> draw of 5.7kW or the maximum cooling requirements of 10.7kBTU, but I'd
> sure appreciate a ballpark estimate, if anyone has one.
>
> [0] All those who remember me brow-beating Josh about whether or not
>     server should have consoles are free to point and giggle.
> --
> Jonathan Patschke   )  "Kitties are well-designed, efficient, fast,
> Thorndale, TX      (    aesthetically-pleasing, and respectable.
>                     )   Perl is not."                --Dave McGuire

Hi All,

My XL ( 34 R10K 16G memory ) draws about 4.5 KW.  However, its mainly
used as a number-cruncher, so there is not very many disks in it.  I
agree - its to noisy to co-occupy any room with, but its not as noisy as
the predator racks.  My main concern with it is its heat output - it
will warm any non air-conditioned room in no time.  A fine machine -
especially good at FP.

Cheers, Geoff.