[rescue] Hark, something from the depths of the storage closet!

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 16 20:51:12 CDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:14:23 -0400
> > [1] cat `which true` to get the joke, unless, of course, you're on a GNU
> >     system, in which case the joke becomes significantly less funny.
>
> The joke becomes downright odd on this machine ...

---snip---

That's what I mean.  GNU distributes a compiled true.  The traditional
true is a /bin/sh script consisting solely of the comments that make up
the copyright notice about it being proprietary and unpublished AT&T
(or Microsoft) source code.  The "unpublished" part is wonderfully
ironic.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Kitties are well-designed, efficient, fast,
Thorndale, TX      (    aesthetically-pleasing, and respectable.