[rescue] Hark, something from the depths of the storage closet!

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri May 16 18:14:23 CDT 2003

 Jonathan C. Patschke says

> I know of at least one[0] Unix where the Microsoft copyright notice shows
> up in the "true" command.  This is extremely funny, considering
> how much[1]
> code is in there.
>
> [0] I -think- it was OSF/1, but I saw that ages ago, so I'm probably
>     wrong.
> [1] cat `which true` to get the joke, unless, of course, you're on a GNU
>     system, in which case the joke becomes significantly less funny.

The joke becomes downright odd on this machine ...

mobilart /home/shel $ cat `which true`
cat: /usr/bin/true: No such file or directory

Hmmm.  Should I try "cat food.in.tin.cans" ??

mobilart /home/shel $ which true
/usr/bin/true

Double hmmmm.

mobilart /home/shel $ la /usr/bin/true
-rwxrwxrwx    1 ???????? unknown     17408 Jan  7 00:49 /usr/bin/true

WTF?

mobilart /home/shel $ la /usr/bin/true*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 ???????? unknown     17408 Jan  7 00:49 /usr/bin/true.exe

Oh, right.  /usr/bin/true is 17k long.  It's cygwin on my laptop!  Let's
string it instead of cat, maybe, so any exe-file high-bit trash won't hose
the terminal....

mobilart /home/shel $ strings /usr/bin/true.exe
Usage: %s [ignored command line arguments]
  or:  %s OPTION
Exit with a status code indicating success.
These option names may not be abbreviated.
      --help     display this help and exit
      --version  output version information and exit
Report bugs to <%s>.
bug-sh-utils at gnu.org
sh-utils
/usr/share/locale