[rescue] Hark, something from the depths of the storage closet!

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Fri May 16 10:09:51 CDT 2003

	Was just in the old Tech storage closet looking for a cat 5 cable so
I would not have to make one. I began looking hard at the shelves marveling
at the amount of junk that had been stored in here by our education out
reach department since we had abandoned the closet. As my eyes wandered the
shelves I noticed, back in one corner of a shelf, hidden from close
observation, a box that had SCO on it.
	Becoming curious I cleared a path to that side of the room. I
removed the laser discs that gave tours of college campuses from my way
(Honest truth). Behind this detritus of useless tech I pried two boxes
labeled SCO from the dark recess of the shelf. Upon opening I find myself in
possession, at least going by some quick glances at labels, a copy of open
server by SCO from circa 1993, a copy of XENIX from the same time period and
a TCP/IP option pack. All of this on 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 disks.
	Now of course I have to wonder, what hardware did this run on?
Anyone have any idea? I am SOOOOO tempted to load this stuff up and start
playing with it. That is assuming that the disks still work of course.
Anyone have any ideas? 386? 486? (though I think I just threw the last of
mine away, Curses!)
	Also I must express I did giggle a little bit when I noticed the
1983 - 1989 Microsoft copyright markings on one set of disks. Want to call
Bill Gates up and go AHA! got you! you did once love Unix! I have proof in
my hands!

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org