[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale atbuy.com)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu May 15 00:23:26 CDT 2003

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 01:22 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> It's got the weirdest SIMMS I've ever seen.  No chips on 'em, just
>> little
>> shiny metal cubes.
>
> Those are gallium-arsenide chips, I'd wager.  That's how IBM (and Cray,
> and others, I'd wager) got fast chips before silicon fabrication
> processes were refined enough.

   Likely not...those chip packages were around long, long before GaAs
chips came into vogue.  I've seen boards from IBM 360 series machines
with those packages on them, dating back to the 1960s.

   GaAs is still used for ultra-high-speed semiconductors.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "They live deeply, these vagabonds."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Goro