[rescue] Re: UE1 memory prices?

Rip Loomis rip at flagon.com
Wed May 14 21:41:39 CDT 2003

Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> I recently spent $60 on a non-E U1 at 170mhz.  I don't really know
>> how much value the UPA slot adds.

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. replied:
> The cost diff between a U1 and UE1 is so small, I'd always opt for
> getting the UPA slot and 100MBit...
>
> Oh... I think the SCSI busses are different... I think the non E
> only has 8 bit narrow scsi while the E has 16 bit wide scsi....

Right you are Curt, on all three counts.  The incremental differences
between an U1 and an U1E are worth at least $30 to me nowadays...if
nothing else, there are a *lot* of 100-mbps-capable hubs and switches
out there that won't auto-negotiate properly with an "le" interface,
but which are perfectly happy with an "hme" interface.

I'm just waiting until the U2s start getting < $100 for a reasonable
system...then I'll probably dump almost all the SPARC 1/1+/2/10 boxen
I have (I'll keep the LXs just because I love the lunchbox form factor).

 --
Rip Loomis       -=-      Sun Certified Security Administrator  (woohoo!)
Brainbench.com MVP for Internet Security  -=-  http://www.brainbench.com/