[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Wed May 14 08:31:17 CDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:17:50 -0400, Jeffrey Nonken <jeff_work at nonken.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:44:12 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
> <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > At one shop where I worked we used to make bets on when a Micropolis
> > drive died.  None made it past 2 weeks.
> >
> > I heard that they were actually assembling drives in plain offices, just
> > to cram enough out the door to keep from going bankrupt, at one point
> > near the end.
>
> I'm trying to remember if Micropolis was the brand I had with the heads
> that would stick... or maybe that was Mitsubishi.
>
> They'd stick to the platter. When you powered them up, you either had to
> shock the drive enough to unstick the heads, or manually turn the stepper
> motor. Both of those being wonderful things to do to a hard drive.

Well, I guess I didn't do a very thorough job of disposing of my old MFM
drives. Guess what I found today?

You got it! Mitsubishi Electric Corporation mode MR522 Fixed Disk Drive. No
defects listed on the label. Several stickers that say "DO NOT OPEN THIS
UNIT" "WARRANTY IS VOIDED IF OPENED"

I don't want to void the warranty, so I think I'll just throw it away. :)

---
You live and learn. Or you don't live long. -L. Long