[rescue] re: KVM extenders

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 13 19:06:49 CDT 2003

I'm investigating the possibility to use KVM-extenders for some of our
machines here, and judging from the results from our last tests, it's
fare-to-crappy quality.

My last bet would be on this unit:
Belkin OmniView CAT5 KVM Extender
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=1
539&pcount=&Product_Id=87618

It's somewhat price related to other manufacturers, but Belkin seems to
make good products.
Has anyone had any experience in this area? Is Belkin A Good Brand(tm)?

We have Cat6 TP outlets and cables professionaly done in our new
facility, so cable quality shouldn't be all that bad.

/Bjorn

The only redeeming aspect of Belkin equipment is the price. Unfortunately
you do get what you pay for.

The Apex LongView is good, and if you need dual consoles then the Apex
SwitchBack is good. Unfortunately both a pretty expensive at list.
Fortunately you can get them fairly cheaply on EBay. Just make sure you get
a complete set including the special cables (some EBay auctions are for the
xmtr or rcvr only).

Regards,

Gavin