[rescue] Older-new mac stuff

Ian McKellar yakk at yakk.net
Mon May 12 18:04:04 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 13:47, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I was actually trying to get VNC to work on this Mac so that I could
> have him work remotely, but you can't get VNC to do separate logins...
> VNC only controls the console even in service-startup mode.... and
> unlike X which allows you to run multiple instances on virtual
> displays, I can't figure out how to implement something like that on OS
> X.

You can't under OS X but you can under Linux/PPC. Check out
MacOnLinux.org - its a piece of free software (GPL) that does
virtualization (a-la vmware - except its aparently much easier/saner on
PPC - I imagine thanks to IBM's input). You can display on X11,
framebuffer or (*drum-roll*) VNC. You can run multiple instances of OSX,
OS9 and Linux/PPC on a single machine.

I've found its performance is pretty good. I run Linux/PPC on my
iBook/800 since I found it too slow to run OSX decently. I keep OSX
runing on vt8 so I can watch strongbad flash movies.

Ian