[rescue] VAXStation 4000/90 Manuals

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri May 2 13:12:13 CDT 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:22 AM, David de Gruyl wrote:
>>   Damn fine machine, by the way...
>
> One more thing for discussion: does anyone know when DEC decided to
> cheaper in their construction?  I have a MicroVAX 3100  as well as the
> Vaxstation 4000/90, and the microvax is built like a tank, while the
> construction for the vaxstation is closer to a saturn -- plastic cover
> and all.  My VAX 4000/300 is also constructed VERY solidly.

   I've noticed this too. :-(  The later 4000-series machines seem to be
where this started.  Their larger machines were (and are) still
well-constructed, though.

> I guess that this is similar to Sun's changes from sparcstation to
> ultra cases.

   Huh?  Those crappy Ultra5 and Ultra10 machines maybe, but that's
about it.  I'm a big guy, and I can JUMP UP AND DOWN on an Ultra2 or an
Ultra30/60 case without so much as leaving a mark.

> Are the alphas also built into plastic cases?  (specifically the
> alphastations in pizzabox configuration -- the AT style ones do not
> appeal to me at all).

   Plastic with thin metal framework. :-(

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                        "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                      -Pete Wargo